The Sage Block Building was designed by Cornell University educated architect William H. Miller and constructed in 1884 by the contracting firm of Richardson & Campbell for lumber and shipping magnate Henry W. Sage. Mr. Sage was Cornell University’s Board of Trustees President from 1875 until 1897.
The distinctive three-story building features decorative terra cotta relief, stone banding, and Queen Anne sash reminiscent of Miller’s residential work but reflective of its urbane setting. Surviving components of the original building include the terra cotta frieze, Queen Anne windows, exterior brick, interior staircase, and much of the second- and third-floor interiors. Renovations to the historic building were completed in 2020.
Historic occupants of the building’s storefront include dry goods stores, a restaurant, and a barber, with various professionals in the upper-story office, including a dentist, physician, lawyer, and the architectural office of Mr. Miller.
Three available spaces: